Moore convicted in 2012 murder of niece

By David Kapitan

Staff Writer

Michael Vincent Moore, the man accused of murdering his 16-year old niece Alicia Chanta Moore and dumping her body in a wicker box along North FM 47 three miles outside of Wills Point in November 2012, officially got his day in court with a weeklong trial in Canton. 

After a day of jury selection and three and a half days of testimony and evidence in the 294th District Court, it took jurors less than two hours of deliberation to seal the fate of the now 57-year old former resident of Grand Prairie.



Alicia Moore, a Greenville High School student, was last seen alive while getting off a Greenville ISD school bus near her home Nov. 2, 2012.

Four days later, Nov. 6, Texas Department of Transportation employees working along the Magbee Creek area on FM 47, about four miles from the Wills Point city limits, contacted authorities after finding a wicker trunk containing a body.

Investigators from numerous agencies, including the Van Zandt County Sheriff’s Office and Texas Rangers, flocked to the scene, gathering evidence for hours while diverting traffic to alternate routes.

On Nov. 7, Greenville Police held a press conference confirming that Alicia Moore’s body had been positively identified. At that time, Greenville Chief of Police Dan Busken confirmed that Alicia Moore’s body showed signs of trauma and that an autopsy was ongoing to determine a cause of death.

“There is a box that’s associated with this investigation,” Busken said. “I’m not at liberty to give a lot of details about that, but that is certainly something that we are looking at and will be a key point of our investigation.”

Investigators continued to work leads in the ensuing months until May 6, 2013, when word broke that Michael Vincent Moore, the great uncle of the victim, was arrested at his Grand Prairie home on a Capital Murder charge.

At the time, Van Zandt County Sheriff Michael Lindsey Ray said, “He (Michael Vincent Moore) was home and informed that he was under a capital murder investigation. He was then taken to the Grand Prairie Police Department while we completed a search warrant of his home and evidence was recovered at the home.” 


To read the full article, subscribe to the Wills Point Chronicle or pick up a copy from one of our vendors.