Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Time to read
3 minutes
Read so far

This week in Wills Point history...

Posted in:

Friday, Jan. 17, 1969

The influenza epidemic in Wills Point has limited student and teacher attendance at the Wills Point school to such an extent that Superintendent Victor Jordan deemed it wise to close the schools until Monday. The decision was made at mid-morning Tuesday when the absentee list rose to 250 students. Mr. Jordan further stated that the tests originally scheduled for Jan. 15 and 16 will be held on Tuesday, Jan. 21, and Wednesday, Jan. 22.  

An organizational meeting for Boy Scouts was held at the scout hut in Wills Point at 7 p.m. Monday. Regular meetings will be held each Monday evening and leading the boys will be Jerry Smith, scoutmaster, and Leon Wheeler and Hollis Smith. Bob Turner will work with the Webelows. The meetings will be held at the hut.

Former Wills Pointer Pat Neill was installed as first vice president of the Rusk Chamber of Commerce at the annual banquet in Rusk Tuesday night. Neill is the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Neill of Wills Point.

Added to the Chronicle’s list of subscribers this week were the Julius Stanglins of Cochise Village and the T.C. McGees of Rolling Oaks.

Mrs. Joan Foster Snyder, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Foster of Wills Point, has been presented a certificate of recognition for her work with the Federal Aeronautical Center at Oklahoma City where she is employed as data process programmer. Mrs. Snyder is a graduate of Wills Point High School and North Texas State University. (See newspaper for complete article and picture.)

The family of Danny Davis, grandson of Mrs. R.E. Eskue of Wills Point has been advised that he was not injured in the bomb explosion this week aboard the aircraft carrier Enterprise near Honolulu in the Pacific. Danny called his mother in Fort Worth Wednesday morning to relieve her anxiety after hearing news of the disaster.

Mike Eshleman, son of Mrs. Jack Jarosh is employed by T.L. James Lumber Company. He is a veteran of two years and nine months with the armed forces. He spent 18 months of his service in Vietnam in the foreign claims office. Mike attended Samuel High School in Dallas, prior to going into the army.

Cradle Roll – Ronald Anthony Simmons, Jr. was the first infant born at Alexander Hospital in Terrell in 1969. He arrived on his mother’s birthday, Jan. 1. Mrs. Simmons is the former Maxine Hays, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hays, of Wills Point. It is their first child. Paternal grandmother is Mrs. Leon Eaton of Ogdensburg, New York. A number of Terrell merchants showered the baby with gifts, to signify the honor of first baby born at the hospital in the New Year. Mr. Simmons is employed by, Gerald Barrentine distributor of Morton Foods.

Mr. and Mrs. Byron Burleson of Odessa have announced the arrival of Vicki’s little sister, Sonya Lynn, born in an Odessa hospital on Jan. 10. Mrs. Burleson is the former Lynn Ezell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Aubrey Ezell. Mr. Burleson’s parents reside in Fort Worth. Mrs. Ezell is spending several days with her daughter and family. Mr. Ezell returned home Wednesday night from Odessa after a short visit there.

McLeod Service Station has taken in space formerly used for supply storage and included it in office space. The entire office area had been paneled and will be completed with painting and other details. The space has been divided into two offices.

Roger Joyner, 19-year-old Edgewood man, narrowly escaped serious injury or possible death in an accident at Roberts 66 station in Wills Point early Friday evening of last week. Young Joyner was attempting to drive his 1968 Ford automobile in front of the station when the vehicle struck one of the gasoline pumps located at the front of the building. The impact tore the pump loose from its mounting and knocked it over. Sparks from electrical wiring to the pump ignited gasoline and immediately produced a raging inferno. Station attendants acted quickly to get the car away from the blaze thus saving the car and Joyner. The Wills Point Volunteer Fire Department was called and immediately extinguished the blaze.

Bruce and Human Drug Company was the target on Saturday night, thieves forced the side door of the building open to gain entry to the store. They took an undetermined amount of merchandise, a 30-30 rifle, all the watches in stock, all loose change in two cash registers and all but four containers of narcotics from the chemical room.

Prowlers entered the H.H. Lide home in the Fairview Community sometime between 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday of last week and left with two portable television sets, three guns, a child’s watch, a charm bracelet and a piece of costume jewelry. Burglary of the M.L. Bobbett home near the Lide home was reported several days ago. No arrests have been made in connection with either case.

The friendly house at 232 East James Street was the only house Lenna McLeod ever knew. She was born there and she died quietly there at the end of the day Jan. 8. Exact age of the house is not known. It was willed to Miss Lenna by her mother’s people, the Bulls family, and is possibly 100 years old. The pretty flowers in her well-kept yard reflect her love for things of beauty.

Funeral services were held Friday, Jan. 10 for Mrs. R.J. McLeod, 79, native of Wills Point and a member of a prominent Wills Point family. Mrs. McLeod died at her home Monday, Jan. 8. Mrs. McLeod was born Lenna Mae Stewart on Oct. 25, 1889, daughter of the late I.C. and Fannie Bulls Stewart. On June 14, 1911, she was married to R.J. McLeod, who survives with their four sons, Ralph and Stewart of Wills Point, Otis of Dallas and Donald of Lubbock. She is, also survived by one sister, Mrs. Juanita Spears, and two brothers, L.C. Stewart of Wills Point and Norris Stewart of Grand Prairie. (See newspaper for complete obituary and names of other survivors.)

Vernon Sanderfer, 53, brother-in-law of Mrs. Horace Murray, died of a heart attack at Sinton on Dec. 29. Mr. and Mrs. Murray joined Mr. and Mrs. H.G. Murray, Jr. at Houston and they went to Sinton to attend funeral services. He is survived by, his wife, Mary, and several brothers and sisters.

This issue also contains an obituary for A.R. Hubbard, brother of P.V. Hubbard. (See newspaper for complete obituary.)