Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far


Posted in:
  • Article Image Alt Text

At approximately 2:30 p.m. Nov. 9, a grandmother, daughter and grandchild pulled into the Van Zandt County Animal Care Center on Highway 80 just outside of Wills Point. The daughter had brought two puppies to be checked for medical issues. The grandmother and daughter waited in the car where smoke started appearing from under the engine hood. A fire soon broke out starting to engulf the vehicle. Jonathan Suder, who noticed the flames from his office window, immediately ran outside and pulled the small child out of the car seat and was able to get the grandmother out of the vehicle before it became fully involved. The heat was so intense that it did shatter some of the business windows but fortunately the business did not sustain any major damage. The Edgewood Fire Department responded to the scene where they were able to extinguish the flames before the damage to the building became severe. Photos courtesy of Nick Gibbons/The County Eagle